Scope of the Scholarship:
The scope of the scholarship is to encourage and reward four graduating seniors who distinguish themselves through their writing. We hope that the scholarship will provide an incentive for students to find there voice and develop ways to express it.
$500 per student to be awarded upon graduation.
In order to qualify for consideration in the scholarship, students must do the following:
- Meet all graduation requirements for the 2013 academic year
- Be an active participant in the Freedom Academy High School blog featured on CreateanewslifewithSusanne.com
- Student must provide documentation that they have applied to a post high school educational institution such as: college, trade school, apprenticeship and/or internship.
- Submit a 1500 word essay by April 15, 2013 on one of the following topics:
- Take me to your favorite place, describe it and tell me why you love it.
- If you were mayor of New York for a day, what would you do? Why?
- If you were given $20 and a free day how would you spend it and what would you do?
- Describe an event in your life that changed you.
- Describe someone or something that you lost and wish you could get back.
- If you could spend the day with someone, who would it be? Why?
Students must submit a draft of their essay for review and editing to a Freedom Academy teacher of their choice.
What We Do: The Freedom Academy Blog is an outlet for students at Freedom Academy High School to express themselves and post articles that capture their point of view. The goal of the blog is to help empower the students by giving them voice, enabling them to feel safe to open up and really talk. What Makes Our Blog Special: Articles submitted to the Freedom Academy Blog are created by students attending the school. Participating in the creation of the blog provides students with real world experience in web development and journalism. In addition to the experience they will gain from participating; our blog program is designed as an internship, fulfilling a requirement for students to graduate from high school. Featured on Freedom Academy Blog: The articles featured on this Blog are on the topics the interns discussed in class and spotlight activities they are involved with at school. Most of the articles focus on sharing the high school experience and capture what it's like to be a senior in a small failing Brooklyn high school. Please share our blog with others who might benefit from these ideas and who might enjoy participating in the conversation! We appreciate all your feedback, suggestions and questions that many of you have shared with us. We'd love to hear your stories of the friends, loved ones and role models who have inspired you because we believe that we can really help each other along this journey. Thank you -